Friday, February 14, 2014

Sometimes the Mind’s Pretty Weird

                On my way to and from college today, I saw three or four other black dogs, of the same sort as my neighbors’.  I can’t ever remember seeing that breed before, but now that seeing the one in the neighbors’ yard has got me thinking about them, they seem to be everywhere.
                This is a pretty common phenomenon. The human brain is the result of millions of years of evolution, but the point is, evolution doesn’t work according to blueprints. Things happen, more or less at random, and the things that work a little better stick around. There are tons of inefficiencies and idiosyncrasies in the human mind that stick around because they aren’t serious enough, in enough of the population, to die out.

                Which leads to the main problem.  If the mind is the tool we have for interpreting the world, and the mind itself is flawed, than how are we supposed to figure out what’s wrong with it? And my mind is, not to brag, perhaps slightly more flawed than most.  I have to wonder if I’m wasting my time, trying to examine a flawed instrument with a flawed instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment